Friday, May 01, 2009

this is how we deal

my husband is in the kitchen making food. before he became the lone breadwinner, he cooked, all the time. then we antiquated our gender roles and he brought home the bacon so i could fry it up in a pan, so to speak. we'll see how it goes this time around.
he's listening to townes van zandt. quite possibly, the saddest music in the world. you see, that's what he does, to deal with the hard times. he listens to indescribably sad music. me, i use serious distraction techniques. when my first marriage was dissolving, i think i probably read close to 30 books in a six month period (many of them about whaling or artic exploration, not sure why) . even before ernie lost his job, we were stressed about money and my distraction was knitting. i like knitting, and i've been knitting so much that my left wrist is swollen. so, i think i'm going to go back to reading. which i've not really done since harlan was born. i know, i was totally one of those intellectual types who was all like, 'i'm not going to let some silly kid change my life'...blah blah blah. i can barely finish an article in people magazine, much less finish a goddamn novel.
for me, there's mcsweeny's. oh, how i love mcsweeny's...let me count the ways.
for example...my head aches today, and i'm still terrified of the future...but, this cracked me up.
SCRABBLE LETTERS EXPLAIN HOW THEY ARE COPING IN THE ECONOMIC DOWNTURN.
BY KATE HAHN

also on topic, and hilarious;
CLASSIC NURSERY RHYMES, UPDATED AND REVAMPED FOR THE RECESSION, AS TOLD TO ME BY
MY FATHER. BY JEN STATSKY

No comments: