Thursday, March 10, 2005

only positives

there is much more negative than positive in my life as of late...so today, i will not write about the negatives. they really don't deserve any more of my time. it's just as well, most of the negatives are so unbelievable and sad that they don't really transfer well to the page...unless of course, i'm dave eggars (harharhar).
positives: (they are small, but they are strong)
*massive amounts of snow in boston this winter, lending to many nights of sledding and pizza. yes, i'm sick of the snow, but the sledding has made it much more bearable. in fact, the sledding has made many things in my life much more bearable.
*finishing my first stencil design on a shirt, it turned out well. learning more about that devil program photoshop to use for my crafting advantage.
*finishing my first knitted wire bracelet with beads. my fingers were blistered, but it looks quite nice.
*found an amazing, kick ass pair of 1970's leather knee boots at a thrift shop for only five (5) bucks!!
*the beat circus show at tt's. long, drawn out, they didn't play until 12:30am (on a school night, no less) but it was well worth it.
*finishing "hunger" by knut hamson. wondering why i hadn't read this much much earlier in my life. highly recommended.
*discovering a new writer in the new yorker, that i actually like.
*reading on the bus.
*knowing that certain members of my family are safe, and alive.

these are all of the positives i could muster. there are the usual suspects...ernie, he is always a positive. my apartment, always a positive that i have a roof, and my warm bed. but i find it's easier and more comforting for me, if i focus on the smaller things. makes the reality of certain things seem much less horrible than they actually are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

who is the new yorker writer?

aprildawn said...

his name is aleksandar hemon. he's a bosnian writer who lives in the united states and writes in english. without a long pretentious explanation of why i really liked his writing, i'll just say that i was very 'taken' with him. i'm exited to read his book of short stories called, 'the question of bruno'.