Monday, August 03, 2009

summer stories



oh my poor neglected blog. dear thing.
many stories to tell, but not many committed to memory enough to type out. we've been in TN for weeks, and just returned a few days ago. i feel like i had a visit to another planet. a lovely, lush, but stress filled planet. so much sadness surrounded by so much hot and humid beauty. i've found myself, on returning, listening to a lot of slide guitar and lynard skynard ('..play me a song curtis low, curtis low, i got your drinkin' money, tune up your dobro..') good thing the weather in MA is almost as hot and sticky as TN was, the lifestyle re adjustment was easier.

my family. where do i begin. just insanity. i love them all dearly, so dearly, but i don't know what to do to help them in any way.

i can't write about anything. just wanted to post something to keep my blog from dying.

random thoughts from tennessee:

-humid air like molasses on a hot biscuit
-aplaca farms on the tops of hills
-stella artois at the walmart
-defeated creek beach and swimming in the cumberland
(still slightly scared of being pulled under by a giant catfish)
-fried catfish at helen's
-charred shine the color of light maple syrup, but with more kick
-sheep herding pyrenees laying in the middle of the road and harassing cars
-sweet sugary summer cantaloupe
-tomatoes and biscuits for breakfast
-drunk singin' with my sweet lovely man on lloyd's front porch
-deer everywhere
-cows everywhere
-prison visit with my little bro in the cotton fields
-crawfish sushi on the way home from jackson
-bugs, bugs and bugs...so many biting bugs
-taking my toddler the roberts honky tonk down on lower broad...got so drunk there one night i let the steel player take me home
-seeing nashville become the city it has always wanted to be
-bought some moccasins in VA off the blue ridge parkway
-the kudzu almost pulled me in and kept me
-that drawl...that southern sound that creeps into my mouth two days after i drop down beneath the mason dixon line and gets thicker and thicker with every sip of beer i drink...that drawl that made me crazy when i was an idiot teenager, but these days makes me close my eyes and just fall in love again...


Pretty Saro - Iris DeMent

1 comment:

jesse said...

I love this post. And I'm very sorry I forgot to keep checking on your blog.