Monday, November 24, 2008

food is food is food

thanksgiving dinner menu (or, a lesson in futility)

app: baked feta hummus and pita
main: maple brined roast turkey
sides: fried green beans, maple glazed sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes w/ goat cheese and chives
dessert: whatever is brought

it's all about the food really. even though we live less than an hour from the site of the first thanksgiving, it's still about the food.
but, for posterity, and in the spirit of all things hokey, here is a list of some things i'm thankful for this year. annotated, and in no order.
* i am thankful that my son can now communicate on a level that involves more than a few grunts and some screams (although he still employs those techniques on occasion).
* i am thankful that my husband puts up with my lazy and sometimes irresponsible view of motherhood.
* i am thankful that the election is over and the outcome was personally favorable. yes, it's naive and short sighted for me to have such a sense of calm and i don't necessarily blame only bush for the last 8 years, america as a whole made their bed to lay in, but calm is what i feel, just the same. america, it's time to get our shit together!
* i am thankful to live in the united states, regardless. (although, trying my hand as an ex patriot in sweden or paris for a few years might not suck so much)
* i am thankful for my home. even though i do not own property and have no savings, i am thankful to have a roof over my head and not a bad mortgage.
* i am thankful to be able to stay home with my son all day, every day. i have a deep respect for working moms, but i cherish my days full of cuddling and diaper changing. even though, in our current economy, i'm sure those days are numbered.
* i am thankful for another year of relative sanity and decent health.
* of course, there are all of the things most of us are thankful for, that i never, ever take for granted and wake up every day knowing how great things are in my life, even when i feel like they're not so great: my family, my family's good health, my amazing husband, breathing in and breathing out, blue skies, gray skies, warm bed, baby cuddles and kisses, etc, etc, etc...and lastly, but not leastly, plentiful amounts of amazing food. whatever, whenever i want it.

No comments: